Hair care

About shampoo bars

SILMACHY shampoo bar

Every year, the global cosmetics industry produces over 120 billion of plastic packaging *. Only an average of 9% of plastics is recycled, which means that the remaining 91% lays into our land, oceans, beaches and forests. ** Solid shampoos are a good way to reduce the consumption of plastic in your household. Shampoo bars are packaged in easily recyclable paper and are also available without packaging at all (in zero-waste shops).

But what exactly is a shampoo bar?

Some of you may have experienced shampoo bars with soap base, that has alkaline pH and thus dries both skin and hair. This is the most common reason many people look suspiciously at shampoo bars. But in this case, only the appearance of the bar, the way it is used, and its packaging methods are borrowed. The shampoo bar, like other natural liquid shampoos, contains coconut derived surfactants, nourishing oils and emollients, such as Panthenol and Hydrolysed Oat Protein, as well as hair conditioning Indian gooseberry powder. The difference is that shampoo bar does not contain or contains only up to 1% of water. The pH of the shampoo bar, as shown on the scale below, is adjusted to the pH of the skin and hair, and has no dehydrating effect.

Of course, there are cases when other manufacturers make soap-based shampoo bars, the final product is economically cheaper, but it usually has a pH of at least 9, which dries the skin. Such shampoo bars can be recognized by looking at the ingredients list – if you find Sodium Hydroxide or Lye in it, it is a loud indicator.

How to use shampoo bars?


Wet your hair and the shampoo bar, then massage the bar in your hair and scalp from hair roots to ends 3-5 times. Then, with both hands, lather up soft foam. Rinse with warm water. Repeat the process if necessary. After use, allow the shampoo bar to air-dry.


          Wet the beard and the shampoo bar, rub it into the beard for few times. Then with both hands, lather up soft foam and massage the skin underneath the beard. Rinse with warm water. Repeat the process, if necessary. After use, always allow the shampoo bar to air-dry.

Attention! If shampoo bar gets in your eyes, rinse them with plenty of warm water!

How to store the shampoo soap?

If you want your shampoo bar to last longer, you need to air-dry it after each use. After washing, we recommend placing it in a dry place on regular soap dishes or sponges. We find natural loofah sponges comfortable & easy to use – they are porous, easy drain excess water, and can be recycled together with conventional compost after long use. Of course, it is also possible to store the shampoo bar in a closed container, but it should always be thoroughly dried before being placed there.

Loofah sponge shampoo bar holders

* – 


One thought on “About shampoo bars

  1. What specific ingredients in SILMACHY’s shampoo bars contribute to effective hair care without compromising the environment?

    visit ud Telkom University

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *